Friday, February 24, 2006

Acer MP-500 portable video player

I have been using my PSP more and more recently to play video content, be it vid casts or TV shows. I find the small form factor, compared to typical portable DVD players or laptops, to be excellent for watching while on normally fairly full tubes or buses on the way to and from work, or even as a replacement to reading just before going to sleep. Of course the limited memory is a huge issue as it limits the amount of media I can load up and means I have to transfer new content across almost every day. With my 3G IPod nearing the end of its life I have been looking to pick up something to replace both the IPod and PSP as my portable audio and video player. It seems the perfect device will be available very soon.

3.5 inch touch screen, 20-40GB Hard Drive, support for MP3, WMA, MPEG, MPEG-4 (DivX and XviD), Video out and battery life of 4-8 hours. Remarkably the price starts at only $350 and could be released on my side of the Atlantic (ie Europe) within a month. The battery life seems a little sort, assuming 8 hours is for audio playback, and the lack of a widescreen display keep if from being perfect, but with those exceptions this is the device I have been looking for.

There seem to be some mixed reactions to this going around much of which is based on Acer rather than the product itself, personally I have a Acer laptop and have found it to be excellent. I’ve never had a problem with it and it was remarkable value for money, sure the build quality isn’t perfect but I would still place it as better than the PSP in that regard and for a budget laptop you kind of expect that. This has defiantly go straight to the top of birthday wish list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home